Day 3:22 pm
We recently had a visit from Richard Simms of the IET to talk about the Inspec database:
- Inspec is a bibliographic database for finding details of articles, books etc. containing material from 1968 onwards. It does not have full text but includes the IGetIt button which will allow you to check whether we have access at Swansea.
- Inspec covers Physics, Computing, Electrical & electronics engineering. In recent years it has added mechanical engineering and has records on nanotechnology, biomedical engineering and aerospace engineering.
- Only quality material is covered, mainly peer reviewed journals with a few books, reports and dissertations and 3000 conferences.
- You can restrict your search to particular areas of the database by using their classification scheme http://www.theiet.org/publishing/inspec/about/coverage/index.cfm. To use this go to the Advanced Ovid search tab, click Limits then click the Edit Limits button. This will allow you to add the option to use classification and other limits such as Numeric data. Inspec indexes numeric data to allow comparison of things like heat and measurement which may be expressed in different ways – more information at http://www.theiet.org/publishing/inspec/about/records/numerical/numerical.cfm
- Inspec also has a useful thesaurus under Search tools. The database is indexed by specialists in its subject areas to increase your chances of finding useful information.
Inspec can be found at http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/athens/. We find it to be a useful database even for subjects outside its core area, for example biomechanics for sports science. Give it a try and contact us if you need any help at firstname.lastname@example.org reading
The latest update of the Gmelin database, 2010/01, was made available on Wednesday 12th May.
Statistics for the new Gmelin database are as follows:
Number of compounds: 2,766,792
Number of citations: 1,434,759
Number of reactions: 2,098,630
There are no changes to the DST files from the previous version, 2009/04.continue reading