5 DAYS OF MENDELEY: DAY 2 – IMPORTING REFERENCES
Yesterday we setup a Mendeley account and downloaded Mendeley and the Word plugin onto our devices. We also manually created references. If you missed it you can find it here.
It is great to create references but mostly you want to be able to import references. Today we will look at importing references from iFind, importing from an academic database and also creating references from PDFs saved on your device into Mendeley.
Importing an Individual reference from iFind
When you find an item you wish to add to Mendeley. in iFind
- Select Actions and then Export to RIS (highlighted below).
An Import to Citation Manager window opens.
- Click on OK.
- Drag and Drop the RIS file into the All Documents Pane in Mendeley (as illustrated below).
Importing Multiple References into Mendeley from iFind
You can also add multiple items to Mendeley from iFind. Firstly save them to Your Favourites within iFind.
- Go to Favourites and select the items you wish to add.
An Import to Citation Manager box appears.
- Click on OK.
- As before, you drag and Drop the RIS file into the All Documents Pane in Mendeley.
Importing a Reference from an Academic Database
You are also able to add references from the majority of our academic databases. Please note that each Database works slightly differently. When you have found an article that you wish to add to your references look for the Cite this link (or similar).
- You then need to select the Format you wish to download. In this example (above) it is BibTex. Sometimes you will see RIS. In Elsevier products such as ScienceDirect you will see Export to Mendeley. Select and then click on Download article citation data.
- Drag and drop file into Mendeley All Documents pane.
Attaching a PDF to your References
At this point you have created a reference to your library. You are also able to attach the PDF of the article to your library. To do this:
- Select the article. In the details pane click on Add File…
The Mendeley Attach Files window will open. Select the file you wish to add and click on Open.
The PDF will then be attached to your citation entry.
Creating References from PDFs saved on your device
You can also create references from existing PDFs saved on your devices. It is easier if you have them located in one folder but this isn’t necessary.
- Select Add Folder from the Add button on the top-left of the screen. The Add folder will open. Select the folder you wish to add and click on OK.
The PDF will then be added to your reference library along with the citation details.
Only documents with the information embedded into the PDF will work. Usually those with a doi.
Tomorrow we will learn how to add websites to our reference list as well as organising and sharing the references you have saved in Mendeley.