The Royal Society of Chemistry have announced that from Issue 1, 2015 this journal will be gold open access and all content will be free to readers. For the first two years article processing charges will be waived so it will be free to publish in. It aims to be the world’s first quality open access chemistry journal.
More about the journal can be found at http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/sc/about.aspcontinue reading
This is based on an experimental Chrome extension (available at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scholar-ninja/mngpckgljabecionknlpnnbamopcehgp?utm_source=blog) which will search across scholarly sites. It doesn’t aim to lead to full text, merely to provide an easily searchable index for scholarly content.
Scholar Ninja is a new tool and still under development but it may develop into an interesting site. Read more about it at http://juretriglav.si/an-open-distributed-search-engine-for-science/continue reading
DETHERM is one of the world’s largest thermophysical databases. It is available from the National Chemistry Database service. The service is free to HE Institutions and it can be accessed from a Swansea University IP address. Below is an example of some of the contents:
DETHERM now contains data from over 100,000 literature documents, equating to over 8,000,000 data rows:
#Literature #Data Tables #Data Rows Dortmund Database (DDB) 75,844 508,465 5,083,431 Electrolyte Data Collection (ELDAR) 7,665 46,331 637,449 Thermophysical Database (INFOTHERM) 15,754 139,846 1,920,628 FIZ Chemie Berlin 2,359 38,590 286,429 DECHEMA e.V. 6,881 72,728 504,462 Transport properties (LUCAS (Dech/FIZ Ch)) 232 1,809 25,068 Solubility Database (CAPEC-SDB) 190 3,123 5,584 Total 108,925 810,892 8,463,051
Below is a breakdown of data from the Dortmund Database (DDB) present in DETHERM:
#Literature #Data Tables #Data Rows Excess Properties Heat Capacities of Mixtures (Excess heat capacities) 542 1,762 49,744 Excess Enthalpies 3,063 14,414 310,033 Mixture Densities (including Excess volumes) 6,152 25,257 672,115 Phase Equlibrium data Activity Coefficients at infinite dilutions (in mixtures) 59 827 9,277 Activity Coefficients at infinite dilutions (pure solvents) 1,139 27,963 71,023 Azeotropic data 1,926 36,402 53,703 Vapor-Liquid-Equilibria (electrolyte systems) 1,249 4,165 115,011 Gas Solubilities (electrolyte systems) 151 666 11,795 Salt solubilities (mainly in water) 5,682 24,130 235,873 Gas Solubilities (non-electrolytes) 1,810 11,850 93,694 Vapor-Liquid Equilibria (low boiling substances) 3,771 10,893 291,999 Liquid-Liquid Equilibria 3935 16338 218083 Solid-Liquid-Equilibria (mainly organic compounds) 5,614 36,869 372,016 Vapor-Liquid Equilibria (normal boiling substances) 6,904 18,535 481,675 Critical data of mixtures (critical lines) 786 2,735 19,031 Partition Coefficients (octanol-water) 514 8,335 11,398 Other Viscosities, thermal conductivities, surface tensions and speeds of sound 2,782 10,700 346,751 Pure component properties 29,765 195,968 1,557,065 Total (DDB) 75,844 447,809 4,920,286
Now in the Library at TA640.2.Z5 2014continue reading
- Geopositioning and mobility / edited by Ahmed Nait-Sidi-Moh … [et al.] ; series editor, Marcelo Dias de Amorim.
- Tourists, signs and the city : the semiotics of culture in an urban landscape / by Michelle M. Metro-Roland.
- Faith in heritage : displacement, development, and religious tourism in contemporary China / Robert J. Shepherd.
- Ecotourism and biodiversity conservation / Suresh C. Rai.
- Tourism enterprises and the sustainability agenda across Europe / edited by David Leslie.
- Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python cookbook : over 75 recipes to help you automate geoprocessing tasks, create solutions, and solve problems for ArcGIS with Python / Eric Pimpler.
- Close up at a distance : mapping, technology, and politics / Laura Kurgan.
- Ice sheets : dynamics, formation and environmental concerns / Jonas Muller and Luka Koch, editors.
- The role of bathymetry, wave obliquity and coastal curvature in dune erosion prediction / door Cornelis den Heijer.
- Disaster and relief management Katastrophen und ihre Bewaltigung / edited by Angelika Berlejung.
- Dunes : dynamics, morphology, history / Andrew Warren.
- Watersheds : processes, management and impact / Gavyn L. Kuhn and Jason R. Emery, editors.
- Ocean science (OS) / editor-in-chief, Kenji Satake ; volume editor-in-chief, Jianping Gan.
- Environment disaster linkages / edited by Rajib Shaw, Phong Tran.
- Holocene : an environmental history / Neil Roberts.
- Geography speaks : performative aspects of geography / Rob Sullivan.
- The human impact on the natural environment : past, present and future / Andrew S. Goudie, St Cross College, Oxford.
- An introduction to landscape / Peter J. Howard.
Scopus is going to add cited references to its pre-1996 content, part of the Scopus Cited References Expansion programme to become available at the end of 2014. References will go back to 1970, making it more competitive with Web of Science and allowing more analysis.
Remember that it is worth doing an author search for yourself to make sure that you receive credit for all your work – mistakes in databases are not uncommon! Scopus includes a request to merge authors if you find that your name has been entered in more than one form. Scopus help gives more information on how to request corrections.continue reading
Vacation loans will start at 9am on Tuesday 8th April with a return date of Wed 7th May. Staff and postgraduates will be able to borrow one week loans for the whole of this period. Undergraduates will be able to borrow normal and one week loans.
The library building will be open as usual apart from shortened hours over the bank holiday weekend.continue reading